Monday, May 7, 2018

Book Review: The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza

TITLE: The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza
AUTHOR: Shaun David Hutchinson
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: February 6th, 2018
GENRE: Magical Realism, Sci-Fiish
PREMISE: Elena Mendoza grapples with the fact that she has healing abilities and many other strange things...
MY REVIEW: Okay, this review comes with a bias warning: I adore Shaun David Hutchinson's stuff. His books just speak to me for some reason. I freely give that they are weird and not for everybody. But they are for me and I haven't disliked a book of his yet. Though I will say the best of his is still We Are the Ants.
This book is very much like We Are the Ants. I would like to note, it looks like this takes place in the same world as At the Edge of the Universe as Tommy makes a brief appearance. There's all sorts of weird stuff going on. That weird stuff is balanced with personal things that the main character is going through and it is all done beautifully with a bit of humor thrown in.
Again, I warn, this will probably not be for everyone. You have to suspend a lot of disbelief with Hutchinson's books. If you want everything answered for you, these will not be your books. I don't think this is the best of Hutchinson's work (seriously, start with We Are the Ants first), but I still really liked it. But as I have said: I'm very biased about this author.
WHO SHOULD READ: Shaun David Hutchinson fans, magical realism fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five weird things going on

No comments:

Post a Comment