Monday, March 12, 2018

Notable Releases: 3/4-3/10

Here are the releases that are on my radar for the past week. March 6th was a big release day, so there are quite a lot of books here.

MG/YA

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

A contemporary about a girl who finds her voice through slam poetry. I've been working my way through poetry this year (haven't reviewed it on here, because I'm honestly not sure how to review poetry yet). So this kind of looks relevant to my interests right now.






Legacy of Orisha Book 1: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

One of my most anticipated debuts of the year. I hope this breaks the meh fantasy debut streak problem that I've been having this past year.

Charlotte Holmes 3: The Case For Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro

When it comes to gender-flipped Sherlock Holmes, I recommend this series. The author takes a well known trope (gender-flipping a popular character. There have been lots of gender-flipped versions of Holmes over the years) and puts a fresh unique twist to it. It is great. After the twist of the last book, I can't wait to get to the third one.





To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

Another debut fantasy that I'm hoping breaks the meh YA fantasy streak. I don't have much luck with mermaid books, but this one is a Little Mermaid retelling with a dark twist. I have to give that a look.

Of FIre and Stars: Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst

Companion book to Of Fire and Stars. Deals with different characters, but is set in the same universe. I cannot wait. Oh, and it looks like we're getting a sequel to Of Fire and Stars next year!







The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

I love books about witches. This one is promising Hocus Pocus vibes. It also reminds me a bit of a trio of Fear Street books that R. L. Stine did called the Cataluna Chronicles. I'm all over this book.

Rebel of the Sands Book 3: Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton

I admit, I wasn't terribly impressed with Rebel of the Sands. To me it was an average fantasy with a different setting. But then the second book happened. And suddenly this average fantasy became a great fantasy. I hope the third book takes that further and it becomes even better.

The Beauty That Remains by Ashley Woodfolk

Looks like a heart-renching contemporary along the lines of Adam Silvera. I've been all about these kinds of books lately for some reason....








Adult Fiction

Rainbirds Clarissa Goenawan

First off: look at that gorgeous cover. But most importantly: the story sounds good. Brother learns estranged sister is dead. Brother goes and tries to find out why she was killed. All in a small town in Japan. Sounds like my kind of thing.






Speak No Evil by Uzodinma Iweala

LGBT contemporary that has been getting some buzz.

The Last Equation of Isaac Severy: A Novel in Clues by Nova Jacobs

This is being billed as a "literary thriller" which...yeah I hate when people try to put literary in front of a genre to try and make it seem smart or whatever. But I'm still giving it a chance, because mystery. But seriously publishers, stop with the literary fantasy or literary mystery or literary YA nonsense. I don't care if something is literary. I just want it to be an interesting story.

Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao

Literary fiction debut about a female friendship and issues that women face today. Sounds like it could be good.








Non-Fiction

Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet by Claire L. Evans

I love hidden history non-fictions stuff.








Ask Me About My Uterus: A Quest to Make Doctors Believe in Women's Pain by Abby Norman

If you are a woman, you've very likely had a doctor at some point tell you something along the lines of "oh, that's nothing. You don't have to worry about that." Or just out right dismissal when you try to explain to them that something is wrong with your body. This book goes into that issue and it looks like it's going to be interesting (and probably infuriating).




The Woman's Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote by Elaine Weiss

Good book for Women's History Month. A look at how we got the right to vote (at least the right for white women).

No comments:

Post a Comment