Sunday, March 18, 2018

Notable Releases: 3/11-3/17

Here are the notable releases from this past week that are on my radar:

MG/YA

Tyranny of Petticoats vol. 2: The Radical Element by various authors

A Tyranny of Petticoats was a really fun collection of short stories a few years ago. I can't wait to read this new collection.








Chaotic Good by Whitney Gardner

I adored Gardner's book from last year: You're Welcome, Universe. This one looks just as good. It's taking on the geek world and the double standards we female geeks face from male geeks. I hope it calls out just as much bs as Gardner's last book did. Because as a female geek, let me tell you: there's a lot of bs in geek culture. A lot.

Illuminae Files Book 3: Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Conclusion to a series that I have a deep fondness for. If you haven't read this series, seriously do so.








Adult Fiction

Laura and Emma by Kate Greathead

Interesting looking debut that is giving me slight Gilmore Girls vibes.

The Red Word by Sarah Henstra

This one is promising talk about rape culture and how extremism helps no one and all sorts of interesting and relevant topics. How the author handles things seems to be a mixed bag though. So I'll see how this one goes.







The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror by Mallory Ortberg

Short story collection that is retellings of fairy tales. Which we all know: is my thing.








The Parking Lot Attendant by Nafkote Tamirat

Interesting looking debut. I'm ignoring the low Goodreads ratings, personally. As I've said before: they are to be taken with a grain of salt because Goodreads reviews...can be very iffy sometimes.







Non-Fiction

Not My White Savior: A Memoir in Poems by Julayne Lee

Keeping an eye out for this one. I am working my way through poetry still, and am not quite comfortable reviewing anything yet beyond: I liked this bit here. Which is why there haven't been any poetry reviews this year. I have been reading them...I'm just still not sure what to look for in poems, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment