Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Review: Torment


TITLE: Torment
Book 2 in the Fallen series
AUTHOR: Lauren Kate
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: angels, romance, drama
SHORT PREMISE: Luce goes to a school for angels while Daniel does his best to protect her.
MY REVIEW: In the sequel to Fallen, Luce gets sent to another school for safe keeping by Daniel. This school is a cover for children of fallen angels. While there, she tries to learn the limits of her powers and her past with Daniel.
Okay, here's the thing, Fallen was badly written but it had a couple of redeeming qualities that made me enjoy it as a guilty pleasure so I gave it a higher rating then I would have normally with books like that. However, Torment...I don't know it's pretty much a rehash of the Fallen plot only more boring and more annoying because Luce is pretty much angsting over Daniel twenty-four seven now. New characters pop up to take place of old characters. Shelby is now Arriane's stand-in and thus she was the best thing about the book. About the only interesting thing going on here was Luce exploring her past lives and slowly starting to become aware that hey, Daniel is not perfect. I did at least appreciate the author did take time to point out the problems in the relationship and that it's not the ideal that we should all strive for. So she did try.
But still, it was boring up until maybe the last five chapters. I'm still irritated to death with Luce and her angsting though I do understand some of the angsting about lying to her parents and friends. Also the writing hasn't improved any. Still has really bad eye-roll worthy prose. So will I be reading Passion? Maybe. If my library happens to get a copy of it. But if it doesn't I won't be broken hearted.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Fallen, angel book fans, fans of Hush Hush, fans of Twilight
MY RATING: Two out of Three crosses

No comments:

Post a Comment