Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Review: Afterlife


TITLE: Afterlife
Book 4 in the Evernight series
AUTHOR: Claudia Gray
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: vampires, romance,drama
PREMISE: Bianca and co return for the final Evernight book.
MY REVIEW: In the fourth Evernight series Bianca and boyfriend are back. Except her boyrfriend is now a vampire while she's a wraith and they must return to Evernight and it's evil headmistress because they have no where else to go.
I like the Evernight series. Is it cheesy and full of deux ex machinas? Yes. Do I still wonder what exactly Bianca and her boyfriend have in common anyway? Yes. But this is a book series where enjoyment factor overshadows the book's flaws. I admit, I enjoy the side characters a lot more then Bianca and her over angsty love life. Vic and Ranulf are seriously made of total win, I love Dana and Raquel, and Team Balthazar baby. Needless to say I can't wait for Balthazar's Story.
So, like the past books there are the usual flaws but plot is interesting, I like that it wasn't total happily ever after, a bunch of really enjoyable dialogue moments where it becomes clear Gray knows how silly this is and is just having fun anyway and I can totally respect that. So I'm satisfied with the ending. I look forward to more of Gray's work which includes the before mentioned Balthazar's Story and a really interesting looking werewolf book set on the Titanic. I have a feeling I'm going to need tissues for that one. Just a tiny suggestion Gray? Vic and Ranulf epic bromance side story. Just putting that out there. Or a side story with Dana and Raquel kicking butt and taking names.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read the first 3 books, Twilight fans, House of Night fans, vampire fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five stakes

I also made a tiny rant post on my Tumblr about the Gurdon article concerning all the darkness in YA for those interested: http://afangirlsview.tumblr.com/post/6367773980/article-rant

Just be warned, I'm not kidding about the rant part.

No comments:

Post a Comment