Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Review: Blood Bound


TITLE: Blood Bound
Book 2 in the Mercy Thompson series
AUTHOR: Patricia Briggs
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy, romance, adventure, mystery, werewolves, vampires, faeries
PREMISE: Mercy gets pulled into vampire politics thanks to her "friend" Stefan.
MY REVIEW: Once more I feel my need to express dislike for the covers. It's not that the artist is bad, they are artistically nice. It's that I feel they give people the wrong impression of what this series is about. If you were someone browsing and saw these your first take would probably be "oh, it'll be like Anita Blake and be sex all the time". I know that was my impression from the covers and thus I was turned off on reading these for the longest time. But when you go to read it, that's not what it's about. In fact, Mercy never ONCE dresses like the girl on the cover. She's a jean and t-shirt gal and there's very little sex in these books. So it gives entirely the wrong impression of not only the character but the books themselves and I don't think they do Briggs any favors (I feel the same about Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld covers too, just so you know, although they've recently rereleased nicer versions of the covers so yay).
Other then my distaste for the covers which is entirely a personal opinion and not necessarily something you should take to heart, I kind of love these books. This along with Sookie Stackhouse and Women of the Otherworld and Kate Daniels and the Fever series have made me fall in love with the adult urban fantasy genre. Brigg's worldbuilding is excellent. She's good at keeping you at the edge of your seat and the way the characters interact is awesome (btw my OTP in this is Warren/Kyle. I could honestly care less about Mercy and her boyfriends, although I'm more partial to Adam then I am to Sam if I must choose. BTW, what's with all the werewolves named Sam lately?). Is it the best series ever? No. Sometimes the plot went by way to fast and I sometimes had a hard time keeping of who was who in the minor characters due to this. Plus stuff felt like it came out of no where and got solved awfully quick and the prose...not much to write home about.
But for a urban fantasy guilty pleasure this series is great. I am hooked and honestly can't wait to read the rest which I plan on reading throughout the rest of this year in the hopes of catching up for the newer books. Expect more Women of the Otherworld reviews as well.
WHO SHOULD READ: adult urban fantasy fans, Kate Daniels fans, Women of the Otherworld fans, Sookie Stackhouse fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five wrenches

No comments:

Post a Comment