Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book Review: The Wee Free Men


TITLE: The Wee Free Men from the Discworld series
AUTHOR: Terry Pratchett
GENRE: young adult, fantasy, series, satire
PREMISE: Young Tiffany discovers magic in her no nonsense world and also discovers a group of small people. When her brother is stolen by a creature she enlists the help of the wee free men to bring him back.
MY REVIEW: So, my first Pratchett book and I have to say, I loved it. While there were a few times I scratched my head I enjoyed it mostly for the humor. There were some hysterical things going on in this book, mostly due to the Wee Free men. They were a riot. Tiffany herself was also a hoot. Add them all together along with Mrs. Tick and her toad...well you have a very enjoyable set of characters that you start to adore.
I also liked some of the sly social commentary that Pratchett added into the story. This is satire that is well done and has you rolling on the floor but also makes you think about a thing or two. If you like romance, you may find it boring because there is no romance (unless you count the hysterical scene with Tiffany and Rob Anybody, which I don't particularly). But if you don't mind that, I strongly urge you to pick up this book. I am now definitely going to be checking out the sequel to this book as well as the other Discworld books. So, all in all, well done book. I can now see why Pratchett has legions of fans.
WHO SHOULD READ: Discworld/Pratchett fans, fantasy lover fans, people who like satire, if you like strong female leads who take care of business
RATING: four out of five wee free men

Part of the following challenges:
One hundred plus books challenge on J-Kaye's Blog
Support Your Local Library on J-Kaye's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment