Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Book Review: The Replacement


TITLE: The Replacement
AUTHOR: Brenna Yovanoff
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: faeries, drama
SHORT PREMISE: a boy deals with the fact that he's a changeling in a town where faeries are a normal part of the day.
MY REVIEW: Mackie has known he was a changeling all his life. It's something his family tries to keep secret and under wraps in a town where people know faeries exist but don't openly say anything about it. But then things start happening that force Mackie to confront who or what he is.
I liked this book. It wasn't phenomenal but for a debut it was definitely interesting and I'll be keeping an eye out for this author's future stuff because she definitely has talent and thinks outside the box. Mackie was a nicely developed character and I liked Tate and I adored Mackie's friends who are awesome (especially his best friend). It was nice and creepy but also had an emotional element. Only main problems were that it sort of dragged a bit in the middle and I still have various questions that weren't answered. This wouldn't be a problem if it were a series but from what I understand this is the only planned book so I'm not too happy about that. If someone happens to know if there's a planned sequel I will totally take this back.
So all in all, a rather decent first book. Not the best book of the year but a nice solid debut that makes me look forward to whatever this author has in store for us in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Tithe, faerie book fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five faerie charms

No comments:

Post a Comment