Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Review: 13 Little Blue Envelopes


TITLE: 13 Little Blue Envelopes
Book 1 in a 2 part series
AUTHOR: Maureen Johnson
PUBLISHED: 2006
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: realistic fiction, drama
SHORT PREMISE: A teen girl travels to Europe at the request of her dead aunt.
MY REVIEW: Ginny's beloved aunt has died and has left Ginny with a letter that tells her to go to Europe and follow her rules. That's honestly about it.
So this is my first Maureen Johnson book. I do see why she's popular. Her writing is nice and neat, she has relateable and believeable characters who are interesting, her books have a sense of humor about life to them, and they're quick reads. Granted, they don't require much brainwork and I've read more intelligent stuff but on the whole I like Johnson's work here and I'm definitely checking out her other stuff.
Little Blue Envelopes was a nice sweet story that's mostly focused on the fact that OMG, we're in EUROPE. Seriously, if this ever gets made into a movie I'll just go for the scenery alone. As someone who is homebound all summer (damn real life job) this was a nice getaway in my mind. Plotwise, it's average though I admit I'm dying to know what's in that last envelope so I'm definitely checking out the sequel that was just published this year. All in all this was cute. Expect more reviews of Johnson's books coming soon, especially as she has a paranormal/historical book coming out later this year that looks awesome.
WHO SHOULD READ: Meg Cabot fans, Maureen Johnson fans, fans of PS I Love You
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five envelopes

No comments:

Post a Comment