Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Movie Review: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

TITLE: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Movie 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia franchise
PEOPLE INVOLVED: Ben Barnes, Liam Neesan, Will Poulter, and all the rest from the previous movies
RELEASED: December 2010
RATING: PG
PREMISE: Lucy and Edmund return Narnia with their cousin Eustance to help Caspian find the seven lost lords.
MY REVIEW: I'm not a huge fan of the Chronicles of Narnia books themselves to be honest. I find the writing stilted, the Christianity message less then subtle, and don't get me started on the slight sexism towards women in it (yes, I'm aware that these books are old, but STILL). However, I have a bit of a fondness towards them because they were some of the first books I read on my own and you can't help but respect books that have that sort of lasting popularity. I will say, I love these new movies though. I think they're beautifully made, Aslan is freaking PERFECT, the actors do as well as can be expected given their limited roles, and most importantly: THEY FOLLOW THE DAMN BOOKS. Before all of you huff at me about the battle scenes in Caspian, those scenes did happen in the book, they were just talked about instead of shown because Lewis figured that'd be too rough for kids (he wouldn't have been a popular author nowadays, I'm sure).
Voyage of the Dawn Treader is not my favorite of these three movies (I still say the first is the best) but it was still pretty good. The best addition was definitely the kid who played Eustance. He NAILED Eustance perfectly and actually made me kind of like him by the end so much so that I'm looking forward to his next movie. I hope there's a next one anyway. I so want to see Jill on screen because they NEVER get to her and she was always my favorite next to Lucy. Note to writers: there'd better be some Eustance/Jill snarking guys. Or I will NOT be happy. Also that dragon they animated? FANTASTIC.
If you've seen the previous movies, you know what to expect from this already. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is basically an extention of those films only we get to see more of Narnia, which I heartily approve of because Lewis's world building was actually very well done and one of my favorite parts of Narnia. So if you've seen and liked the first two movies, you will not be disappointed by this.
WHO SHOULD SEE: Those that have read the book, those that have seen and liked the first two movies
MY RATING: Four out of Five lions

No comments:

Post a Comment