Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Review: Trickster's Girl


TITLE: Trickster's Girl
Book 1 in the Raven Duet
AUTHOR: Hilari Bell
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: science fiction, fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Kelsa lives in the near future where the planet is in danger of dying. She gets approached by a boy named Raven who tells her she can help.
MY REVIEW: What I love with Bell's work is that I never know what I'll get from her. She is one of the few YA authors out there who is creative with plots and ideas. Each series or book she does is different from her last and I love that. This book is no exception. It's actually even different from her other work because it's not just fantasy but a bit science fictionish as well and as always I loved what she did with the world building.
I really liked Kelsa and enjoyed her interactions with Raven even if sometimes Kelsa seemed like a Mary Sue. She wasn't full-on Mary Sue like some characters have been in the past, but she had some sueish qualities so that did sort of take away some enjoyment from it. Plus the ending was a bit abrupt to me but it does set it up nicely for the sequel so I guess it's okay.
Bell's best work? Not really. Her Knight and Rogue series is much better in my opinion but still, this is a nice solid and interesting book and like all her work, it makes you think about stuff. I'll be keeping a lookout for the sequel in the future because I'm interested in how things turn out. This is the first book I read from 2011 and I have to say if this is an indication of the coming year then it's going to be a good year for books.
WHO SHOULD READ: Hilari Bell fans, you don't mind lack of romance in books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five ravens

1 comment:

  1. I've just started this book and I look forward to finishing it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete