Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Review: Sleepless


TITLE: Sleepless
AUTHOR: Cyn Balog
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: paranormal, romance, drama
PREMISE: Eron is a sandman in love with his charge. When he gets the oppurtunity to become human again, he jumps at the chance, only the catch is in order to become human he must train his replacement: his charge's recently deceased boyfriend.
MY REVIEW: For the most part I think this is a good solid book. The world building is great. It was nice seeing a creature not used very often in YA for a change. There were some thoughtful prose and ideas in it and all in all it was cute.
However, there were a few problems. Characters were a tad two-dimensional. The plot sort of fell by the wayside about halfway through and became predictable and boring and rushed, and the ending...was cliche. Oh, and the heroine was boring and of course needed saving all the time.
But I still enjoyed it and think this is a nice quick read for those looking for a cute romance who don't mind rather cliched endings. I just sort of wish the author had made the book a full novel because I felt there could have been much more to this but instead the whole thing just felt...rushed. I have not read Balog's other book Fairy Tale but I think I'll now pick it up.
WHO SHOULD READ: Sandmen fans, fans of Twilight
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five vials of sand

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like good one! Thanks. Have added it to my goodreads so I don't forget...

    ReplyDelete