Saturday, January 8, 2011

Book Review: Impossible (contains spoilers)


TITLE: Impossible
AUTHOR: Nancy Werlin
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Romance, drama, fantasy
PREMISE: Lucy learns that there is a curse in her family that makes the girls go through three impossible tasks or they lose their mind when they give birth.
MY REVIEW: This is my first Nancy Werlin book and I have to say that if this is how her writing normally is, I won't bother with any of her other books. Seriously, how did this book get on the best books of 2009 list? I will say it was an interesting idea and were a few interesting tidbits floating around in there. However, those are all over-shadowed by very poor execution.
First, the writing is bad. Not Stephanie Meyer level bad, but amatuerish to be kind. The writer tells and doesn't show and has some really bad prose in it. The characters are also two-dimensional. Lucy and Zach have no personality from what I can see and the minor characters are no better. The book also suffers from what I call Twilight-itis. In the author's quest to appeal to the fans of Twilight in order to sell her book, the plot got dumbed down a LOT. This unfortunately seems to be something that has been plaguing a lot of YA authors as of late and it's driving me up the wall. Because this book seriously could have been EPIC. But no, the author wanted it to be all about the romance in order to appeal to Twihards.
Other things that make this book...well impossible for me include several issues with the plot. For instance Lucy gets raped, yet this causes next to no mental anguish for her and the only issue that comes from it is that she gets preganant but even that becomes a non-issue as she of course has the baby, her man is all set to marry her, and they have no problems making a life of their own. Even the so-called "impossible" tasks are pretty easily dealt with from what I saw. There was never any real danger for Lucy or her baby who she loves unquestionably even though the baby was a product of rape. Don't get me started on Lucy's attitude to towards her mother in the beginning. In short, this book was bad. I sort of see it appealing to the younger romantic crowd and Twilight fans but for everyone else, I say avoid.
WHO SHOULD READ: Tweens, Twilight fans
MY RATING: Two out of Five vengeful faeries

No comments:

Post a Comment