Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book Review: The Book Thief


TITLE: The Book Thief
AUTHOR: Markus Zusak
PUBLISHED: 2005
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: historical fiction, drama
PREMISE: In Germany during WWII a young girl goes around stealing books and deals with the changing world around her.
MY REVIEW: I absolutely loved this book so before I start my gushing, and to make you aware it's not perfect, I'll go over the (very few) issues with the book. First, the narrating style takes some getting used too. Once you do though, it becomes enjoyable and second, I'll admit the book sometimes did drag a bit. But that's about it. For the most part this book is excellent.
Liesel (you're forgiven if you keep thinking about the Sound of Music) is a hilarious protagonist. Watching her grow up and deal with people is great. She's nice and spunky, doesn't angst over boys, and her relationship with Rudy is histarical to watch. You root for this girl so much that you end up just as heartbroken as she was at that ending.
Another thing I loved was that this was a different look into WWII. Most books dealing with WWII don't deal with the everyday Germans and what they went through. Which is understandable, it's a touchy subject. I liked that the author pointed hey, guess what not every German was in favor of Hitler! The war was just as tough on them as everyone else. Doesn't excuse the holocaust at all, I know, but it's nice to see someone make it not so white and black and explore the gray areas of the war that few people tackle.
Plus, the writing is just GOOD. The narrative style like I said is odd, but in it's own way brilliant. The author created fully fledged three dimensional characters that you grow to really enjoy and the story well I won't give it away but if you aren't tearing up by the end, you may want to check your pulse. A perfect book? No. No book is absolutely perfect. But it is most definitely an excellent book and I highly recomend it to everyone.
WHO SHOULD READ: anyone inclined
MY RATING: Five out of Five stolen books

No comments:

Post a Comment