Thursday, April 26, 2018

Graphic Novel Review: Are You My Mother?

TITLE: Are You My Mother?
AUTHOR: Alison Bechdel
CATEGORY: Graphic Novel
PUBLISHED: 2012
GENRE: Memoir
PREMISE: The author/artist of the graphic novel Fun Home returns with more stories, this time going into her relationship with her mother.
MY REVIEW: A few years ago I read Fun Home. It was my first foray into graphic novel memoirs and honestly my first time, in awhile, reading graphic novels because I had stopped reading them all together at one point.
This one is honestly more of the same of Fun Home. It goes into Bechdel's family issues, this time centering on her mother. Well, partly on her mother. There is also some stuff thrown in about her own personal issues in therapy, with her writing/art, and in her own personal relationship. All of it ties back to her mother in some way though. So the mother/daughter relationship is important here.
I was fine with it. It's very typical graphic novel memoir stuff. There was interesting looks into psychology and how parents can shape you and how you deal with the world and whatnot. It wasn't as engrossing as Fun Home, but it was still a nice read.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Fun Home, memoir fans,
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment