Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Book Review: Hourglass


TITLE: Hourglass
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Myra McEntire
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: paranormal, romance
PREMISE: A girl who sees ghosts learns there are other people like her.
MY REVIEW: The thing with Hourglass is it's a very decent first book. Unfortunately for the author my expectations for this one got so high because of all the OMG this is so creative/unique whatever reviews. I'll be honest: there's nothing new here. This is actually very typical stuff in the YA genre right now. The only real unique thing here is the time travel and I've run into quite a few books with that idea in it in the past few months. Seriously YA ENOUGH WITH THE TIME TRAVEL. You don't use it right anyway so please, don't do it unless you have a plausible legit way/reason for the time travel. While it was slightly better here then from what I've seen it still was a very flimsy idea. Her trying explain it with science, did not help matters.
Other then the fact that I wasn't blown away by creativity like people said I was going to be the book was okay. The writing is decent, characters are tolerable, and the last one hundred pages have twists galore that you don't see coming. I wish the author hadn't spent so much time on the lame romance which was as usual predictable cookie cutter stuff, but all in all it's a decent read.
But I wasn't blown away. So once again, I have to be a naysayer for a popular book. ;sigh; Maybe the second one will be better. I do look forward to more ideas from this author as she matures more in her writing though. Because if this is her first book then we're in for some real good stuff down the road.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of time travel, romance fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five TARDIS's (the cool way to time travel)

No comments:

Post a Comment