Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Book Review: Devil's Advocate

TITLE: Devil's Advocate
Book 2 in the X-Files Origins series (duology?)
AUTHOR: Jonathan Maberry
PUBLISHED: January 3rd, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-Fi/Mystery
PREMISE: Teenage Scully moves to a new town and is plagued by dreams of a girl who was murdered...
MY REVIEW: A while back, I reviewed Agent of Chaos, a book about teenage Agent Mulder from the show the X-Files. This book is a companion of sorts about teenage Scully. It is much like the other book: it is a glimpse into a beloved character's teen years. It's a mystery like what happens on the show, and there are various easter eggs in there for long-time watchers of the X-Files.
For some reason...I didn't quite get into this one as much as I did with Agent of Chaos, which is strange because on the show, I am team Scully all the way. I think perhaps that was my problem: too high expectations. The Mulder book I didn't expect to love because while I am fond of Mulder and his constant quest for truth, I adore Scully even more. Another thing was...that honestly this didn't feel like a teenage Scully. I sort of felt like this was a random idea the author had, then got this book deal and so just dropped Scully into the idea to make it work. Whereas the other one definitely felt like teenage Mulder, this felt like...honestly a fanfic's idea of Scully.
It's not a bad book. The mystery is interesting, it's fast-paced and suits the X-Files world. It just...I don't know, this one just didn't click with me as much as the other one did and that's weird because Scully is my favorite and I expected to love this. I'm not sure if this is the author's fault or mine...possibly it is a combination of both. Who knows?
WHO SHOULD READ: X-Files fans, Scully fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five weird murders

No comments:

Post a Comment