Friday, September 2, 2016

Book Review: My Heart and Other Black Holes

TITLE: My Heart and Other Black Holes
AUTHOR: Jasmine Warga
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: February 2015
GENRE: Realistic Fiction, Romance
PREMISE: A suicidal girl and boy meet up online and make a pact to end their lives....
MY REVIEW: First off, I feel like I should put a trigger warning for this book in this review. If you are depressed or suicidal....I really would not read this. It will probably trigger something. If I could rate this book on the talking about depression in a frank manner, it would get high ratings. But...I am looking at the book as a whole and...it honestly, kind of falls apart at the end.
If one goes by the ending of this book, all you need to get over being suicidal is to just decide to live your life and boom, you'll be happy. It probably helps if you decide you're in love. I could practically hear the song "all you need is love" playing at the end. Sigh. This started off so well too. Look, I'm sorry, but depression does not work that way. You suddenly don't just decide "okay, I'm not going to be depressed anymore" and then everything magically works out for you. I won't even go into how I personally found the romantic relationship to be rather unhealthy. We'd be here all day.
There are some good things in this book. As I said, the discussion in the beginning about depression is good, the author clearly did her research. Which makes the ending so darn puzzling. I get it's a YA romance and thus a happy ending is to be expected but...not that happy, after all the MC went through. I just...yeah. This book is okay, but I've got issues with it and its ending.
WHO SHOULD READ: All the Bright Places fans, contemporary romance fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five not well thought out endings

No comments:

Post a Comment