Friday, September 16, 2016

Book Review: The Fire This Time

TITLE: The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks About Race
AUTHOR: edited by Jesmyn Ward,
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
PUBLISHED: August 2016
GENRE: essays, social commentary
PREMISE: A collection of essays that talk about race issues in the present day.
MY REVIEW: Confession: I've never read James Baldwin. I know, I know. Again, that midwest white people focus education rears its ugly head. I have no clue how this compares to Baldwin's The Fire Next Time, which I've been told is one of the most important essay collections ever. But I'm sure Baldwin certainly won't be insulted by this collection at all.
As with all essay collections, this one covers a wide range of topics, but all talk about race. If you've been paying attention to the news you'll recognize several of the stories talked about here. Like all essay collections, some were better then others. But they were all interesting and gave me lots to think about.
I'm still trying to figure out what makes great essays and what not, but personally, I really loved this collection. This is a powerful book, and I think very timely considering the things going on.
WHO SHOULD READ: Anyone inclined
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five things we need to talk about

No comments:

Post a Comment