Friday, September 23, 2016

Book Review: Everybody Behaves Badly

TITLE: Everybody Behaves Badly
AUTHOR: Lesley M. M. Blume
PUBLISHED: June 7th, 2016
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: Biography/History
PREMISE: A in depth look into Hemingway's rise to fame and the story behind the publication of his first book: The Sun Also Rises.
MY REVIEW: I read The Sun Also Rises back in high school at some point or another. I...have a sort of apathetic feeling towards it like I do with most classics if I'm honest. But, I'm a sucker for micro histories about popular things. The Sun Also Rises is definitely a popular thing. So I gave this a look.
As a micro-history book this one is...all right. The tone of the book is a little too gossipy for my taste. A lot of it feels like speculation. Particularly the parts with dialogue. I'm honestly not really sure how factual the info is. So that kind of dragged down how trust worthy the book is as a source.
It is however a good jumping on point for those unfamiliar with Hemingway and the time period he was popular in. If you know nothing about Hemingway, this is a good intro to his history and influence.
WHO SHOULD READ: Micro History fans, Hemingway fans, those who want to know more about Hemingway
MY RATING: Four out of Five could have had better sourcing

No comments:

Post a Comment