Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Book Review: The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle

TITLE: The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle
AUTHOR: Janet Fox
CATEGORY: Childrens/Middle-Grade
PUBLISHED: March 15th, 2016
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl gets sent to an old castle during the Blitz and realizes that something is not quite right about the place.
MY REVIEW: This was an interesting one that I read on a whim. It had a creepy castle and promised kids getting into adventures and I'm pretty weak to that sort of thing so I had to give it a look. Ultimately, I'm not sorry I did. A lot of it was fun.
The atmosphere is the best thing. The way it's told reminds me of a lot of the old-school kind of kids books like Chronicles of Prydain and whatnot. I love the way the story is told and it was a good story. It just maybe dragged on for too long. I feel like several scenes could have been cut.
But for the most part, this was a fun, spooky, kids getting into shenanigans kind of story. If you're a fan of that kind of thing, I'd absolutely give this one a look.
WHO SHOULD READ: Chronicles of Narnia/Prydain fans, those looking for spooky books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five creepy castles

No comments:

Post a Comment