Thursday, August 4, 2016

Book Review: Chains

TITLE: Chains
Book 1 in the Seeds of America Trilogy
AUTHOR: Laurie Halse Anderson
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PREMISE: A young slave girl wrestles with loyalty and wanting her freedom during the American Revolution.
MY REVIEW: This is one of those books that has been on my TBR list for quite some time now. I always hear great things about it. Which doesn't surprise me, Anderson is a great writer. I'm not sure if this is my favorite of hers, but it definitely is pretty damn good.
This goes into a part of the American Revolution that a lot of people don't think about: the slaves during this time period. It goes into what they might have been going through during the Revolution. I'm not sure how well Anderson did things, I'm not a history expert, but emotionally, she got me as she always does with her writing.
There are a lot of convenient plot devices in it, but overall this was a very interesting historical book. It's kind of like Ruta Sepytys' books where most of the interest is there because it's a subject that most historical books just don't go into.
WHO SHOULD READ: Laurie Halse Anderson fans, Hamilton fans, Ruta Sepytys fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five interesting looks at history

No comments:

Post a Comment