Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'd Revisit From My Childhood/Teen Years

This is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week: top ten books from our childhood that we'd like to reread again.

1) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I loved this book as a kid. I still sometimes rewatch the 90s movie with Maggie Smith (my favorite version and I'm sorry, vastly superior to the old black and white one). I do need to reread it, it's been several years.







2) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I first read Jane Austen outside of school (because my teachers were all firm believers of the dead white man only canon ;sigh;) and while I got it...I think there was some stuff I missed. I'm currently in the midst of reading all the Austen books I haven't read and I'm loving it. Jane was a snarky little thing wasn't she? I think after I finish the rest of them I'm going to go back and reread it because I suspect there was much humor in it that I missed as a teen (for those wondering, I've got Sense and Sensibility done, and am now onto Mansfield Park, and need to do Persuasion/Northanger Abbey and Lady Susan. I've already read Emma as an adult)

4) The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot

Since there's going to be a new PD book and apparently a spin-off series coming I really do think it's high time I reread the Princess Diaries from the beginning. I adored these books as a teen. I'm fond of the movie as well, but don't think it's nearly as awesome as the books (Grandmere was quite different, and Tina Hakim-Baba was no where to be seen which is sad because Tina is AWESOME).




5) Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal

Like most kids growing up in the 80s/90s, I devoured this series. I adored it in all its corny and unashamed soap operaish splendor. I knew they weren't what one would call good, but damn if I wasn't addicted to them. Recently I read Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay (which you all should totally read btw) and she talked a bit about loving these books and it kind of made me want to go back and re-read them. Especially as I hear they revamped them for a newer generation and added things like cell phones. I wonder if they've done the thrillers yet. Those were the BEST.


6) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

LOVED this book though again, I didn't read it in school (can you tell I grew up in the bible-belt of the Midwest yet?). The recent announcement of the sequel (I still can't quite believe it's happening) has made me want to pick up my copy again. I'll probably reread it sometime this year to refresh my memory for the sequel.





7) The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

Once upon a time I read the first book in this series back in high school as I was pining for the release of...one of the Harry Potters. I don't remember which. I liked it well enough but never got super attached like I know a lot of people did and thus never read the rest of the series. I've always felt guilty about that because I've liked Colfer's other stuff a lot. I feel like I need to reread the first and then go and binge-read the rest.


8) Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce

I adore Tamora Pierce's books. Her books are pretty much what got me into fantasy. I have recently reread some of the Tortall books and I'm thinking of getting back into this series as I pine for the Tris goes to magic school book.







9) The Diary of Anne Frank

So I recently saw a version of the play on Netflix and it reminded me that I actually haven't read this since middle-school. That was....a while ago. I should really reread it. Especially as I know so much more about her now then I did as a thirteen year old.






10) Beauty by Robin McKinley

I first read this in middle-school and reread it every few years or so. I'm thinking I'm about due for another reread....






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see Artemis Fowl getting the love it deserves this week! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete