Monday, January 26, 2015

Book Review: When

TITLE: When
AUTHOR: Victoria Laurie
PUBLISHED: January 6th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery, Magical Realism
PREMISE: A girl who sees the date everyone is going to die gets in trouble when a serial killer is on the loose.
MY REVIEW: I admit, I was hesitant in picking this one up because I'd tried the author's adult series and didn't like it very much. However as always, I like to give second chances. In this case I'm glad I did, because I actually wound up quite liking this one.
It's got a unique concept: a girl who sees the date everyone is going to die and it goes into how the character deals with all of that. I do wish the author had gone into the WHY does she see it part, but at the very least, I do think she handled the how the character deals with it rather realistically.
The mystery is probably the best part of this book. It is honestly nice and twisty like a good thriller should be. I do think at times the author tried too hard to emphasize how hard Maddie's life was. Those parts got more then a little over-the-top. Literally, she would walk out of the house and someone would be cruel to her. Or she'd be fine and then her mother would do something. It was just never-ending and I sympathized, I did, but at the same time I couldn't help but feel the only reason this was put into the book was to make me sympathize, because it didn't really have much to do with the main plot. If anything, it started to feel like filler material.
But the good far out weighs the bad here. If you're in the mood for a paranormal-type thriller this definitely should do the trick.
WHO SHOULD READ: Mystery fans, thriller mystery fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five weird gifts

Many thanks to the publishers for the Net Galley of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment