Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Review: Chasing Power

TITLE: Chasing Power
AUTHOR: Sarah Beth Durst
PUBLISHED: October 14, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Witches/Wizards
PREMISE: A girl gets blackmailed into helping a boy find his mother which unearths a ton of family secrets...
MY REVIEW: I've said it before and I'll say it again: Durst is a seriously underrated author. Like all of her books, I didn't quite know what I was getting when I got this. But like all of her books, it turned out to be a creative treat to read.
This time, Durst went in for urban fantasy. As always, her heroine gets swept up into an epic adventure where she has to use her wits to survive. That is the only thing her books tend to have in common: her heroines aren't fools and I love that so much. The real shine in this book for me though was the dialogue. The dialogue between Kayla and Selena and Daniel is fabulous. I can't go on enough about how much I adored Selena. I adored her to the point where I want her to have her own book.
So after a slight slump with Conjured, Durst is back on the awesome list. I can't wait to see what her brain comes up with next. I do have one complaint though and that is the cover. This lightbulb here has NOTHING to do with the plot. Maybe it was supposed to be a pun. I don't know. I do know it's not a good cover. I can take funky covers if they actually have something to do with the plot. This one doesn't have anything to do with the plot. Bad cover artist. Bad.
WHO SHOULD READ: Durst fans, adventure book fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five bad covers hiding a good book

No comments:

Post a Comment