Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: The Wood Queen


TITLE: The Wood Queen
Book 2 in the Iron Witch series
AUTHOR: Karen Mahoney
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban fantasy, romance, drama
PREMISE: Donna fights for her place against the alchemists. Pretty much it.
MY REVIEW: I tend to give series with three and a half star ratings for the first book a second chance to impress me. Hence why I'm reading this despite being rather underwhelmed by the first one. Sadly, I don't see much improvement like I wanted.
Characters are still amazingly two-dimensional (especially Donna's aunt, I mean considering how horrible she's skewed was anyone really surprised at her deceit? I sure wasn't), love interests are still boring and I still see no chemistry between the couple I'm supposed to be rooting for (according to the author), and everything still has a been there done that feel to it.
So no improvement. I'm still underwhelmed. I will be reading the next only to see the consequences of the door debacle but if that's underwhelming too, I'm done.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that liked The Iron Witch
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five evil aunts

No comments:

Post a Comment