Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why


TITLE: Thirteen Reasons Why
AUTHOR: Jay Asher
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: contemporary, drama
PREMISE: Clay receives thirteen tapes from Hannah, a girl who commited suicide explaining why she did what she did.
MY RATING: Thirteen Reasons Why is one of those novels that is constantly recomended and I definitely see why. Yes, it's wee bit angsty so if you're already in a bad mood, I'd advise against reading it at that time. It also doesn't like revolutionize the YA genre. But it is a important book that I sort of wish was required for high schoolers/older middle-schoolers. Because it does something that not many are willing to do: talk openly about teen suicide.
Even better, it manages to do it in a way that doesn't talk down to the reader, doesn't pass judgment on the character commiting suicide or even any of the other characters. I'm sorry but that is a rare thing in these issue books because you can usually tell which way a author leans towards on the subject especially when it's YA. Asher tells an honest story, shows how differently people deal with the matter, and then lets you draw your own conclusions because the book is really trying to just bring up the conversation. Honestly the only thing I can really complain about was the rather abrupt ending last chapter. I just don't get it, sorry Asher. But the rest of it? LOVE. I especially love the idea of the peer communications class. Seriously that should be in ALL HIGH SCHOOLS. Do they have classes like that nowadays? I don't know ;hasn't been in high school in mumble mumble; (what you thought I was going to tell you?)
So I definitely agree, this is one of those books everyone (especially teens) should read at least once. I've heard there's a movie deal out for this one with Selena Gomez as Hannah. Hopefully the Selena Gomez thing isn't true, as fond as I am of her for Wizards of Waverly Place, I don't think this is the right role for her.
WHO SHOULD READ: contemporary drama fans, those not afraid of touchy subjects
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five tape decks

No comments:

Post a Comment