Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review: Cryer's Cross


TITLE: Cryer's Cross
Book 1 in the new Cryer's Cross Trilogy
AUTHOR: Lisa McMann
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: horror, paranormal, drama
PREMISE: teens start disapearing from the small town of Cryer's Cross.
MY REVIEW: Cryer's Cross is rather hard to explain. It mostly revolves around a girl named Kendall who lives in the small farming community of Cryer's Cross where nothing much happens. Then a girl disappears. She's never found and life goes on but then her best friend disappears and things change. Mostly the book deals with Kendall and how she deals with her best friend disapearing and then a few spooky scenes at the end and wham we're done.
For the most part, I liked this a lot. McMann's writing has vastly improved since Wake. Kendall was a nice well-rounded character, it was free of annoying YA tropes, it was nice and spooky but also had drama. It was a solid book and I'm definitely going to read the rest of it. However, I'm a tad confused about the ending. I don't know if that's the author's fault or mine either. I'm just confused by it and I'm not sure why this needs to be a trilogy unless the next two books are going to be about answering some of my nagging questions in which case great, bring them on.
But this is definitely a solie book. If you liked Wake you'll like this one probably. It's also a good one for kicking off my annual paranormal spooky books summer reading. During the summer I like to read paranormal books. I don't know, it's a thing with me.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the Wake Trilogy, paranormal fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five school desksp

2 comments: