Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book Review: Entice


TITLE: Entice
Book 3 in the Need series
AUTHOR: Carrie Jones
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: faeries, romance, drama
PREMISE: Zara does her best to bring Nick back to the mortal world.
MY REVIEW: Some of you may recall I was enthusiastic about Need but lukewarm about Captivate. Now I'm just getting further disappointed with this series. It started off SO promising and refreshing but now it's like every other YA book series out there.
For example in the begining, Zara was independant. She was perfectly all right on her own and had goals and aspirations. Now she's all Nick, Nick, Nick twenty four seven. and frankly Nick? Not that great. Zara's mother used to be interesting but now she's basically become the two-dimensional mother from hell that I'm obviously supposed to hate and there's next to no character developement for Zara's friends or even Zara herself. Oh and once again: love triangle. Because we don't have enough of those going around. One thing I really wish the author would address (but probably won't) is the out right prejudice that Zara's friends and even Zara herself have against faeries. I kept waiting for Zara to call her friends out on it, I mean this is a girl who hates injustice, right? But never happened. Hell, she even understood why her friends suddenly don't trust her just because she's now a pixie. That just really rubbed me the wrong way.
I am not totally giving up on this series. Because maybe it'll pick up in the next. Although, I honestly thought this was the last book. But I guess not. I just hope in the next one there's actual character developement and that the author addresses some of the issues I mentioned. There are still some good things about it. I'm just getting frusterated with the lack of character stuff.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read the first 2 books, faerie fans, fans of Iron King, fans of Twilight
MY RATING: Three out of Five iron forks

No comments:

Post a Comment