Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review: Crescendo (contains spoilers)


TITLE: Crescendo
Book 2 in the Hush Hush Trilogy
AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: angels, mystery, drama, romance
PREMISE: Nora breaks up with Patch and then starts to dig deeper into her father's death and uncovers secrets she's not sure she wished to know.
MY REVIEW: I confess myself pleasantly suprised once more by this. The author took this in a direction I wasn't expecting and managed to surprise me. Also, her writing has improved. Still not perfect by any means. There are YA tropes abound in this, Nora angsts over Patch way too much for my taste but at least she doesn't go around saying he's the perfect boyfriend, and sometimes the plot felt too similar to the first book. Like Fallen, this series tends to get compared to Twilight and many people say it's a rip-off and a poor one at that. Also like Fallen this is unfair. This is ten times better then Twilight Twihards, I'm sorry but that's the truth. While I don't deny there are similarities, this author is actually competant and weaves a good story.
One of the things I appreciated in this (and wasn't expecting) was Nora breaking up with Patch. Wow, a female who instigates a break up, that's new. Granted, I didn't care for her wishy-washiness about it and overdramatics afterword but I at least understood where she was coming from and it was nice seeing a girl go "hey, we're kind of in a messed up spot right now and even if we're not what future do we have anyway?" Another pleasant surprise for me was the Marcie feud subplot. In the first I found Marcie to be a horribly 2-dimensional mean girl, but Fitzpatrick actually has started to give Marcie depth and I love that she pointed out that Vee and Nora are just as vicious to Marcie as she is too them so it's not a one-sided thing. I also was surprised by the way the investigation into Nora's father went. I won't give it away but it was a decent twist. I can't wait to see the repurcussions of it in the next book.
Look, I give that this trilogy isn't terribly original and Patch could definitely use some more character. But this is a hell of a lot better then Twilight people. Please stop calling it a rip-off. For that matter, please stop comparing everything to Twilight to begin with. Unless of course the book is obviously trying to market itself to Twihards then I say go for it. I personally look forward to the next book which comes out in October.
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, Fallen fans, angel book fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five angel wings

No comments:

Post a Comment